WHAT changes will I experience?
Equine-assisted learning produces results which are unique to you, whether you attend a one-to-one session or a group workshop. The exercises you do with the horses will help you recognise the impact you have on difficult situations, and the changes you can bring about in those situations by managing your own inner state.
By applying the tools and techniques you’ve learned after the workshop, and continuing to reflect on and learn from each experience, you will experience changes in your relationships and transactions with others.
If you participate in a workshop with your team or a group of your peers, you’ll also be able to observe and discuss the behaviours and responses of your colleagues in the unfamiliar context of the exercises with horses. The shared experience and follow up discussions give new insights into dynamics of your group or team, which can be applied and built on after the workshop.
People will experience different results from working with the horses and applying the learning, depending on the objectives of the workshop or development programme as well as on their individual needs. You might experience all or any of the following:
- Greater awareness of your emotions, the impact they have on you and others, and your ability to manage them during potentially stressful situations (e.g. standing up for your ideas, giving negative feedback to others, facing a situation that makes you anxious or fearful);
- An increased ability to take responsibility for and control of your own feelings;
- More confidence in your ability to inspire or collaborate with others, and a better understanding of exactly what it takes and what it feels like when you get it right;
- Awareness of the importance of understanding of the needs and emotions of others without feeling responsible for them;
- Awareness of how strong and directive you can be in certain situations without jeopardising a relationship, as long as it’s based on mutual trust and respect.